HUNCHBACK Program Recap: Songs, Characters, Setting, etc.
As promised, a recap of the program La Jolla Playhouse posted for The Hunchback of Notre Dame. If you want an even shorter recap, doinkies already did an excellent job. XD
Click on "read more" for the rest of the post.
- Rhythm of the Tambourine
- The Tavern Song (Thai Mol Piyas)*
- Flight Into Egypt
*Thai Mol Piyas might mean "And wine we drink" in Romani
- A GUY LIKE YOU (movie and Der Glöckner)
- CITY UNDER SIEGE (Der Glöckner)
- OUT OF LOVE (Der Glöckner)
- DANCE OF THE GYPSIES (Der Glöckner)
- BALANCING ACT (Der Glöckner)
- COURT OF MIRACLES (deleted from Der Glöckner)
- IN A PLACE OF MIRACLES (deleted from the movie)
'HUNCHBACK' to be emotionally deeper, will have 10 new songs
Playbill.com wrote up a little featurette about Disney’s HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME with Alan Menken, Stephen Schwartz, Peter Parnell (libretto), and Scott Schwartz (director).
In it, we learn that:
- The musical will be “emotionally deeper” because they are liberated from “needing to reach a family audience.”
- They are “bringing more nuance” to Frollo and explore "the complexity inside him."
- The musical will differ “both in form and at times in content” from the movie and will be closer to Victor Hugo’s narrative.
- There will be a “different ending” and "ten new songs or pieces of songs," some coming from the Berlin version and some completely new.
Pretty exciting! Especially for those who were against a family-friendly show.
Hunchback starts preview performances on Oct 26. and opens Nov. 9.